The oldest sources mentioning the town of Akhaltsikhe date back to the 12th century B.C. Its ancient part, called Rabat, still remains on the left bank of the Potskhovi River. Buildings seen here include numerous altered fortress, a former palace belonging to the rulers of Akhaltsikhe, a mosque built by the Ottomans in 1752, a palace-like structure, and more. The citadel is surrounded by old residential buildings, hall-like chambers, and a bathhouse.