Barakoni Church of the Mother of God is located near the town of Ambrolauri, in the Tsesi village, in mountainous Racha region. Barakoni is one of the last important monuments in the tradition of medieval Georgian architecture. Barakoni was built in 1753, by the ordert of local lord the Ruler of Racha Principality – Rostom. The church was design by the architect Avtandil Shulavreli who is commemorated in the inscription of the eastern facade.

The church was closed and desecrated under the Bolshevik rule. It suffered further damage, though not serious, in the 1991 Racha earthquake, but was quickly repaired. Located on a top of a steep cliff, it overlooks Rioni River which joins the Lukhuni River just below the mountain.