Batumi Botanical Garden is one of the largest botanical gardens in the Former Soviet Union. It is located at the place called Mtsvane Kontskhi (“The Green Cape”) on the Black Sea shore, 9 km north of Batumi city.

Batumi Botanical Garden was started by the Russian botanist Andrey Nikolayevich Krasnov (1862-1914), brother of General Pyotr Krasnov, in the 1880s and officially opened on November 3, 1912. He was aided by two skilled gardeners and decorators – the French D’Alphonse and the Georgian Yason Gordeziani. Krasnov died in 1914 and was interred at the garden which still houses his grave and statue.

The Garden territory at present covers the territory of 112 ha comprising the following 9 phyto-geographical departments: East Asian, North American, New Zealand, South American, Himalayan, Mexican, Australian, Mediterranean (or European) and Transcaucasia humid subtropics.

The Garden also contains three parks – the Upper Park, the Lower Park and the Sea Side Park.