Narikala is the ancient citadel overlooking the capital of Georgia and the Mtkvari River. The fortress already existed by the 4th century as Shuris-tsikhe (“invidious fort) and considerably expanded by the Arab Caliphate Umayyad in the 7th century and later, by King David the Builder. The Mongols renamed it “Narin Qala”, what means “Little Fortress” in Persian. Most of extant fortifications date from the 16 and 17th centuries. Unfortunately in 1827, the fortress was significantly damaged by an earthquake and partially demolished. Nowadays we can witness the past from ruins which came to our days – two wall sections on a steep hill between the sulphur baths and the Botanical Garden of Tbilisi – and recently restored St. Nicolas Church which is located on the lower court of Narikala Fortress.