Samtavro Monastery, located in Mtskheta town is built on the place where “Zemo Ecclesia” (Upper Church) was located in the 30s of the IV century.

The present Church of the Savior was built in the 1030-1040. The archeological excavations revealed the remains of a large church that had been standing here before XI century. Eastwards of the Church of the Savior there is a small early medieval church of St. Nino.

Samtavro Monastery, together with other historical monuments of Mtskheta has been inscribed upon the World Heritage List of the Convention concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage since 1994.